Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Big 3 - 0

I always expected I’d hate this birthday. Being young, doing youthful things has always been something I’ve clung to. I have been guilty of looking back on my childhood and the passing of the carefree years of my life with an over sentimentality for what was.

Some parts of my soul stopped growing at eight. and sixteen. and twenty. and there are days when I only want to see the world through the eyes of the girl I was at those ages.

But here I am, the very first days of my thirtieth year on this big world and I am feeling sublimely peaceful. My twenties were a helluva ride - some of the best years of my life - but when I look at what I have today and what I had ten years ago - I wouldn’t trade places for even a minute. I spent the last ten years finding out who I wanted to be, discovering who would be the love of my life, learning what it meant to be a self sufficient adult, and more recently, how to be a mother.

With those lessons tucked closed to my heart, I feel nothing but excited anticipation for what lies ahead. I hope a piece of my soul stops growing at thirty too. And I can look back in as many years with the same weepy over-sentimentality that I do now. I’ll see myself as this very woman - trying her best as a wife, as a mother, and in her "career" adventures  - and I’ll smile that same smile I now reserve for that knobby kneed 8 year old on her backyard tire swing. For that busy teenager singing loudly with the windows down in her first car. For the twenty year old version of myself as she learned to juggle her college courses, a part time job, and living on her own.
I am thirty years old today and it’s a good place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment