Can we talk about this massive binky for a moment? Leave it to our daughter to fall in love with the blue (she has a pink one too) whale of the binky world... but this humongous silicone bink has been a saving grace for us.I really debated whether we wanted to give her one in the first place as I know how hard they can be to take away once a child grows older and I had read there are some increased cases of gastrointestinal issues from babies that use them. Then I read that they have been proven to reduce the risk of SIDS and I thought, “well, we’ll just give it to her when she sleeps”. But as soon as she was born, Aliyah started sucking on her fingers and if her fingers weren't there her little lips were sucking even if she had just eaten... it seemed cruel not to... so - plop - the binky was in her mouth.
We heard good reviews for the WeilBaby Pacifier but had to order it online since we couldn't find it at any local stores. I think the large size helps her hold on to it more easily, and I like the fact that it is a single, molded silicone piece (no crevices for bacteria to get into). In the course of two months our daughter has acquired an addiction to this bink - She can go from a screaming banshee to sprouting angel wings the second you give it to her.
I try so hard not to resort to sticking it in her mouth every time she is fussy - but sometimes, it’s the only thing that can keep her happy. I’d sign her up for Binkies Anonymous if such a thing existed - she’s a bonafide binky fiend!
I am already imagining the battles we are going to endure when it’s time to give it up. But I figure a binky is easier to take away than to get a kiddo to stop sucking their thumb. (On that note, Anyone have any recommendations on a good age to wean her off?)
This thing might be in the running for a guinness book record due to it’s size, but it also wins the prize as a sanity saver in our house.

Owen used his binky all of the time for about 6 months but he slowly stopped using his. I would play it by ear, he only uses his if he sees it so it may be easy to ween her.
ReplyDeletethat is AWESOME kat!!!!
ReplyDeleterelax, no one has been documented walking down the aisle of their wedding with a binky. when she gets old enough to understand set a ground rule, it has to stay on your bed, if you're so tired you need the bink, you're tired enough for a rest. you'll have plenty of tug of wars don't worry about the binky now. enjoy the peace and quiet when you can.
ReplyDeleteLove your thoughts Susan!!! Thank you :)
ReplyDelete