Thursday, December 9, 2010

Baby Blues and What I Didn't Realize at the Time




OH how I love those squishy thighs!!!

A large majority of mothers out there go through some sort of baby blues, or worse, Postpartum Depression after the birth of a child. I experienced the former of the two in my early stages of motherhood, however, at the time I was so overwhelmed by the experience - by the love that had its hold on me that I felt sure I was doing a pretty sufficient job navigating my way through those delicate first weeks with my emotional well being in tact. Looking back, I may have battled a few bouts of baby blues...

I remember a few days after we brought Aliyah home from the hospital - the home that I had spent so much time cleaning, organizing and preparing for her arrival suddenly felt wrong. I loved being out of the hospital and into our own home, but everything seemed to be a danger. I kept getting these really disturbing mental images of all the ways our house could injure Aliyah. What if I dropped her on the cold, hard floors? What if her head hit the corner of the kitchen counter? What if I tripped up the stairs and I fell on her? The worry haunted my thoughts constantly. Everything had the potential to injure this completely helpless little person in my arms.

I remember carrying her room to room with my hand cupped around her little round head - it was my weak attempt at some sort of protective barrier between her and all the sharp corners and hard surfaces around us. I would never carry her at night without a night light on in case there was something left on the floor that I may accidentally trip over. For weeks I’d blink my eyes and shake my head to try and redirect my thoughts whenever they turned to thinking of how many possible ways she could accidentally get hurt.

I was terrified of inadvertently hurting her - slipping up, making a mistake. It was like my instinctive desire to protective her went into such overdrive that my mind went well past the realistic and reasonable ways in which to prevent her from being harmed and I became obsessed with anything and everything (no matter how small the possibility) that could cause her injury.

And SIDS. oh Gosh, how I’ve feared SIDS. I spent hours reading intensive research studies on it - followed checklists for preventing it to the tee. Checked and rechecked her swaddle, the temperature of the room, all of it. For the first 5 weeks I woke up almost every hour just long enough to put my hand on her chest, make sure she was breathing, and then I’d lay back down again.

I was terrified to fall asleep while nursing her in the middle of the night. More than one time, Tyler woke up in the middle of the night to find me clawing through our covers in a panic. Each time, I was sure I had fallen asleep with Aliyah in my arms and somehow she had been pushed down there (despite my insistence that she always go back in her pack n play at night - where she’d be safe from the threat of heavy blankets)

I would say it’s only been within the last 2 months, maybe even less than that - that I’ve stopped frantically searching for her almost every single time I  would wake up in the middle of the night. I have now let her sleep in the bed with us in the mornings for a few hours (though I toss and turn for quite a bit of it).

I know how blessed my experience as a mother has been. I have a healthy, happy child and an incredibly supportive husband - and how lucky I have been not to have had a lot of the more crippling effects of PPD.

I bask in the beauty of this gift called motherhood. I revel in it, but none of us are without our own struggles, insecurities and fears. I guess I just wanted to share it here - as it took me several months of reflection to really recognize and come to terms with what I experienced. It was an unfamiliar and disorienting experience - but as I find myself better able to mentally reason with those weird fears and anxieties that plagued me after Aliyah was born - I also feel more comfortable sharing them.

For those of you who have experienced true Postpartum Depression, I salute your courage to push forward in spite of it. Only recently has our society even begun to openly accept PPD as a very real illness and something that women need not feel ashamed of. Sharing our experiences and talking openly about what each of us experienced emotionally after the birth of our children is the best step in removing the stigma.

2 comments:

  1. Wow.

    I have a lot of thoughts on this... but where to start??

    For one thing, your paranoia after childbirth seems completely rational to me. My mother thought I was a "little over the top," which was my only inclination that what I was feeling may have been a bit extreme. But WOW I feel ya! I didn't start going on walks with Lilly until she was almost 3 months old because I was sure someone would drive up, jump out of their car and steal her, or slam their vehicle into her stroller. -And she slept with me, right up against me, out of my fear of SIDS (which might not sound logical, but for me I needed to hear/feel her breathing at all times). I had horrible dreams about losing her or having someone steal her from me, and I too worried about all the dangerous things in my house swallowing her up. I didn't leave lights on but I dragged my feet slowly against the carpet to ensure nothing was in my way.. -I also held her 'round the clock nonstop, because she was "safer" with me.

    Those types of fears faded out a few months back, but it was extremely intense for a while. Even going back to work caused me problems because I worried about my hgihway driving, and being so far from home. She's 7 months old and still hasn't stayed the night with her grandparents, nor will she before her first birthday and/or until she's done breastfeeding.

    While I can recognize all these feelings as obsessive, I still rationalize it as "normal." You can't separate your heart from yourself and not expect to have a real NEED to protect it as if you can't survive without it. There is no doubt in my mind that if something were to happen to Lilly it would be hard to survive, but in her first few months of life, when hormones and LOVE were raging through me, I KNOW I wouldn't have been able to make it if a worst case scenario became realty. All I could do was hold on, and do my best to shake the scary thoughts away.

    How long does it take to disconnect from the umbilical cord emotionally???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh trisha!!! I FEEL YA!!! are they supposed to spend the night at grandparent's homes?!?! If she spends the night over there, I may stay too :)

    I think that emotional umbilical cord never goes away! We are now attached forever - and I couldn't be more happier about the whole thing!!

    love your comments and that we share so much of the same experiences :)

    ReplyDelete