Pluses: Covers are easily reusable over several diaper changes, hybrid use allows for cloth inserts or environmentally friendly disposable inserts. Disposable inserts are great for travel and on the go when I don’t want to carry around wet diapers. They seem to have less bulk than other cloth diapers.
Minuses: Sometimes leak if any part of the absorbant insert is not inside the plastic shield. Disposable inserts are a bit pricey.
Overall consensus: We LOVE gdiapers. The velcro make them easy to put on a wiggly baby and the fact that the covers have a plastic pocket that allows them to be used over several diaper changes cuts down on the number of diapers we have to wash. I’ve found deals on the gdiaper disposable inserts on ebay to cut down on the cost, and honestly we just use cloth inserts with them 98% of the time. (Cloth inserts can be ordered through the gDiaper website or Babies R Us carries them in-store. I think Target and Wal-Mart carry them online only)
And a note on our experience in general: It’s so much easier than I imagined! I was really nervous making the switch to cloth, but after only a few days I was so surprised at just how easy they were to use. There has only been one day we slacked and she was in one of the leftover disposable diapers in our supply, but I really truly mean it when I say using cloth has been an awesome experience. It feels good to know that we aren’t contributing to the waste in landfills and the soft, brightly colored diapers are so cute on Aliyah. We haven’t had a single instance of diaper rash and the best part is that "blow-outs" have decreased dramatically... actually, we haven't had to change her outfit due to a dirty diaper since we switched to cloth - TMI???
Wipes: We have also been using cloth wipes!! I would have NEVER thought cloth diapers, much less cloth wipes would be in my future, but here we are... loving it. The cloth wipes seem easier when you are doing cloth diapers because it can all be thrown in the same bin vs. trying to find a trash can for wipes after you have taken care of a dirty cloth diaper. I bought plain white baby washcloths and use a simple recipe of water, baby wash & baby oil (Thanks Beth & Dena). I spray the solution on the washcloth or directly on her bum. Easy!
One more quick tip: the thought of actually leaving the house with Aliyah in a cloth diaper frightened the bageebiz out of me. Again, I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was, but I admit that things got SO much easier once I started using a wet bag. We were using zip-locks to store the dirty cloth, but there were a couple reasons why I was not feeling the zip-lock... 1. see through = gag reflex for myself & friends 2. Throwing away the zip-locks after unloading the dirty diapers each time seemed like a waste of money and back tracking my green efforts. Now with a wet bag I just throw the whole thing in the wash and don't even touch the dirty diapers - perfect!
Do you have another brand you recommend we try? (I know Beth and Katherine LOVE bumGenius) Tips and tricks that make your cloth diapering life easier? Detergent that you use? We are still using disposables at night... any tips/tricks for night time? Let me know!

We just double stuff the diapers at night and rarely have leaks. Now that he is 2 we use three inserts at night (a little bulky), but it doesn't bother him and we have no leaks. Now hopefully we can get this potty training thing down.
ReplyDeleteMarcie I was wondering if you still had that email I sent you with the wipes recipe. I have gotten so use to making it, I kind of eyeball it and a friend of mine was wanting it so I thought I would ask before I tear the place apart trying to find the recipe. Thanks!!
We use Rockin' Green detergent and really like it, though we do have to use the sensitive formula. Have you seen some of the cloth diaper websites offer 'trials' where you get a bunch of different kinds to use and try for a month? Not sure of the price but I'd totally have considered this if I had known about it (I was debating between FuzziBunz and Bumgenius, but am happy with our choice!). Wetbags and washable pail liners are lifesavers. We also use disposables for night time. No real rhyme or reason- it works so we stick with it. I'll let you know if/when we switch back :)
ReplyDeleteThe Wipe Recipe:
ReplyDelete2 cups boiled water (let cool)
2 Tb baby wash or shampoo
2 Tb baby oil
careful about washing the wipes with oil on them with the diapers. i had to strip my bumgenius AOIs because some oil had spread to them during washing. then i just decided to wash the outsides separate from all the rest of the diaper laundry. we use country save detergent. we've used all different types of cloth diapers in combination with EC (which we also love and recommend), although i haven't tried the g diapers. for overnight, we did a bg with a hemp or kissaluvs extra soaker insert in addition to a regular insert.
ReplyDeleteThanks Rachel... I didn't think about the oil getting on the diapers during wash!! Once when we were out, I forgot the solution and ended up using water with cloth wipes. I thought the water worked just fine, so maybe I could use water (maybe with a little baby wash)? mmmm....
ReplyDelete