Thursday, January 27, 2011

Teething Tip

Gnawing on a cold or frozen carrot! Other tips... freezing a washcloth or putting an ice cube in a food net


Aliyah turned 8 months old yesterday
(same day as her YaYa's birthday)


There are still no teeth in that gummy baby mouth. And to be honest, I am okay with that! My mom told me that I was 12 months + by the time I finally got my first tooth. While this is an ideal situation for a nursing mama, I hope that her first grade teacher will have a tooth chart for her.

Getting my teeth later also meant that I lost my first tooth later too. I remember the AWESOME tooth train in Mrs. Griffy's kindergarten room. When you lost a tooth, you got to write your name on a paper tooth and put it in the train. I watched all year as my classmates filled the train with their white paper teeth. Sadly, by the end of the year, my name was never on the train.

I finally lost my first tooth when I was eating an apple some time during my first grade year but there wasn't a tooth train or anything fun for missing teeth. But like my mom did for me, I will make sure Aliyah feels special whenever that first tooth pops out...the funny the things you remember!

On a side note - when I taught 1st grade you better believe I had a VERY cool tooth chart (and song) for every kiddo with a missing tooth.

What did you use that helped with your teething babe???

4 comments:

  1. Motrin, nothing fancy but it was the only thing that seemed to do the trick. Owen would bust out three or four teeth at one time, we tried all the "home" remedies but honestly good ole fashion medicine worked the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally remember Mrs. Griffey's chart!!! Cori told me she was so jealous because I always had a tooth on every month!! I am a little worried for Chase though because my mom said we got our first teeth at 4 months! Ouch!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the first tooth we used cold teethers. Tooth #2 required Oragel. Tooth #3 popped up after two days of drool but no apparent pain. Tooth #4 was the same way.

    Distraction was key. Night-time can be rough because they can't sit and chew on anything, aside from a pacifier, which pops out easily, leaving them upset and you out of bed on a schedule similar to the first few months. That's when we used the Oragel and a binkie. Thankfully we kept a couple! "Teething time" is the only time Lilly will even consider taking one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and cold apple slices work too. Lilly can gnaw on an apple chunk for what seems like hours :)

    ReplyDelete