Thursday, May 19, 2011
Giving Thanks: A Birthday Twist
I kept trying to figure out how I could raise awareness and money for cancer research as part of Aliyah's birthday celebration. We have so much to be thankful for, most of all that our daughter is healthy and thriving.
We decided to include a note along with her birthday invite that asked our friends and family, if instead of a gift, they would consider a donation in whatever amount they were comfortable giving to St. Jude's Children Research Hospital. This charitable organization is recognized for its pioneering research and treatment of children with cancer and other catastrophic diseases. St. Jude treats more than 5,700 patients each year and is the only pediatric cancer research center where families never pay for treatment not covered by insurance.
Aliyah already has so much, we felt like this would be the most appropriate and actionable way to celebrate the blessing of her healthy first year. I was worried that making such a request would come off as tacky or forceful to our invited guests, but the feedback I’ve received has been overwhelmingly positive.
We’re making it really easy for folks to contribute - we’re setting up a little mailbox on a table with instructions on where to make out a check as well as a laptop set up to donate online. Tyler and I will mail all of the donations in together afterwards and St. Jude will send a personal acknowledgement to each donation letting them know that their funds have been received.
“But what about presents?” asked a few concerned folks. “You can’t have a first birthday without opening presents!” Tyler and I have purchased a few special toys for Aliyah to open on her birthday. We also plan to make our own donation to St. Jude in honor of Aliyah's first birthday.
I am really excited about the opportunity and hope to make it a tradition. I know this is just a little, tiny action against the giant beast of pediatric cancer - but my greatest wish is that one day in the very near future, the cure rate goes to 100%.
If you’d like to learn more about donating to St. Jude, please visit Aliyah's St. Jude Tribute page.
We will keep fighting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Very thoughtful and honorable indeed, Inzer Family!!! Our children make us very proud and we know that the world is in good hands with caring, loving people coming up behind us.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, you gotta stop feeding the kid Miracle-Gro! Look what it's doing to that flower on her head! It will go straight to her legs next!!
Love,Grandpa