Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother's Day (Extended) Weekend

The Plan: spending Saturday with my mom and family celebrating Mother's Day and then spending Sunday morning with Tyler's mom and family, eating brunch together at the country club and then Tyler had a whole afternoon of surprises for me in honor of my very first Mother's Day...

What Actually Happened: Saturday we went to the zoo and had a wonderful lunch with my family. Everyone was so kind to agree to come back to our place and help put up our sun shade for our deck - BEST Mother's Day gift ever! We have been on that deck almost non-stop now that we have shade!

Sunday morning Aliyah woke up early and got sick... twice! What?!? This wasn't in the plans.... SO we changed out of our pretty dress clothes and back into pajamas. I felt so bad for her, but I was glad Aliyah got to get some extra rest. My mom said that is the true definition of a "mother's day"!

Even when Aliyah is sick she still has her peaceful happy personality. We went outside to get some fresh air in the afternoon, blew bubbles, listened to blues and sat on our deck. Even though those were not the plans, I still had such a wonderful Mother's Day with the two people who made it possible for me to celebrate this day!

SATURDAY...
Mom was taking the picture as usual
Aunt Jillian
There's that beautiful Mama!
SUNDAY...
Aliyah and I put our dresses back on in the afternoon... just for fun!
Blowing bubbles with dad.

Just a year ago, I was wondering if I would have a baby to hold on Mother's Day 2010. Little did I know she was still 20 some days away from being snuggled close. I’ve come so far from the woman I was just one short year ago, and every day since I have been evolving into a more content, capable, and stronger version of myself.

There is something about reflecting on Mother’s day that makes me feel eternally grateful and blessed for my own beautiful mother, grandmothers and aunts. I am humbled to know the strong women who helped raise Tyler to be the kind, generous, caring man he is. I am so thankful that my daughter will get to experience the love and wisdom of all of these women combined. What a gift Mothers are!

I know it’s late - but I hope that all of you had a FABULOUS Mother's Day!!!

1 comment:

  1. I got a kick out of the sign above mom & I at the zoo.....
    Rhinos, Hippos, & Baboons!!!!! Now that's a family title!

    Hey Bebop, we need a family song that incorporates that idea!!!! HA!

    Love, Grandpa M

    ReplyDelete