Thursday, December 10, 2009

Dear Baby...

There are times when I worry that I am not going to be prepared enough to take care of you when you arrive. I’ve found myself overwhelmed with the what ifs of providing you with everything you’ll possibly need. Am I old enough, smart enough, capable enough to be the caregiver of another human being? Can we afford to do this?

And then I look at our cozy little house and see that we managed to hang our pictures straight and the milk in the fridge isn’t expired, your father, our two dogs, and our cat all are in good health… and me, I find time to put fresh flowers on the dining room table and not scuff up my favorite red shoes too much. We pay our bills, sock a little away in savings and usually have a few bucks left over to treat ourselves to a little dinner out or a bargain shopping spree. When it comes to raising you… we won’t have it all… we won’t know it all… but we’re going to give it the best shot we can.

I think about my own parents… the stories of my upbringing… My mom and dad worked extra hard on managing their money so that my mom could stay at home. I don’t remember ever being without anything because there was always so much love. I know your daddy's house was filled with that same love too.

And for you, the same surplus waits. You won’t enter this world with your college tuition already paid, or all the newest and greatest toys, and we are going to work hard on making it as a single salary house-hold. But I’m guessing you’ll never notice… because the really good stuff in life can’t be found on a store shelf. It doesn’t wait within the walls of banks, or under pretty wrapping paper.

I can’t promise we will be able to give you everything you’ll ever want, but we measured our worth and counted our blessings and I can promise you this little one, we’re down right wealthy in the things that you’ll need most.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Mom, you are so nice. You already feed me all the good stuff, take care of me with all the doctor check ups, talk to me and sing to me, and on top of it all, you love me unconditionally even though we have not really met face to face yet. I think I'm going to like my new family when I get to move in (or is that move out) this spring.
    I can't wait for you to show me around the new world, and teach me how to be a good person like you and Dad.
    I can't wait to meet that part of my new family that makes that funny loud "arf" sound when the door bell rings, or that other one that sometimes sits on the roof of my room and makes a low rumbling sound that puts me to sleep. Are these my brothers and sisters?
    I'll be glad to have you guys to go to when a get a boo-boo or get scared when something goes bump in the night. I have heard stories that this new world can be scary, but I will always know that Mom & Dad will be there for me and we will be safe with our family in our cozy home that is so full of love.
    Don't you and Dad worry about anything becuase it will all be right no matter what.
    Love you & Daddy, the new Inzer Baby

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too cute... made me tear up a little :) Oh my sweet baby - already has such good grammar and everything :) I can't wait until MAY!! Thanks for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcie-
    you should write books. that was awesome. You all are going to be incredible parents, and we can't wait to support you in that journey!
    Love you!
    Stacey and Graham

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcie,
    You should write this is really good. I am so glad you are having a great experience being pregnant. Keep writing we'll keep reading. Love you both (all)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful note, Marcie. I am so proud of the woman you've become. Thank you for sharing all your wonderful thought!
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete