Monday, December 21, 2009

A Sweet Story

Yesterday, as Tyler and I were browsing the baby bedding at Nebraska Furniture Mart, we were approached by an older man with a head full of silver hair. He worked at the store, had a round physique, and a kind face.

He stopped for a second and then smiling, asked “Can I help you find anything?” I smiled back, thanked him, but told him we were only browsing. Then, trying to decide if the bedding we were looking at was specifically for a girl or could also work for a boy, I asked his opinion.

"Do you want to find out if you are having a boy or a girl?" He asked. I said (probably overly excited) that we would know in less than two weeks! He then said, with such confidence "You are having a boy, and yes I think these sheets would work for him."

I glanced at Tyler and he was just staring at me. Curious, I asked "How do you know?" He said back matter of factly, “I have never been wrong.” Then he smiled again and turned his back to us as he walked over to help another couple. Tyler has been hoping for a girl, but leaned over to me in that second and said, "This is the first time I have been really excited about having a boy!"

In the car ride home while discussing our new purchases, a boy name just came to us and we happily agreed calling our little bump a 'he' for the rest of the ride home (we will not be revealing any offical names until we confirm boy/girl).

Well even though I don't agree with him about those sheets working for a boy... and I know that his chances of guessing the gender of our baby correctly is 50/50 - but when he said "boy" he had such a wonderful calmness and confidence about him that our brief conversation left us feeling his same confidence.

This morning I was awoken by Tyler's soft whispers directed toward my tummy - "Good morning little boy - I love you"

2 comments:

  1. That is a sweet story - I do agree that those sheets do not work for a boy. But I did vote boy, so I am with the older man. Either way, we can have fun playdates! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He will love them! I guess boy too!

    ReplyDelete