Wednesday, March 9, 2011
It Takes a Village
I am learning to let loose a little when it come to worrying so much about germs from strangers... She’s not a newborn anymore... She’s never had immune issues... And all you have to do is watch the light in her face as she receives attention from new faces to see that the love she is feeling far outweighs the risk of catching a cold.... and honestly, knowing that she is A) fully immunized and B) still nursing has helped me feel more comfortable too.
As I was out attempting to restock our cabinets with food at the grocery store, Aliyah sat smiling in the front of the cart (with one of those germ protector covers on, I admit). The older woman bagging our groceries smiled at Aliyah. She reached out her hand instinctively to brush her arm with her finger but stopped herself. “Watch out, she’s ticklish” I said invitingly and Aliyah grinned ear to ear as she tickled the spot between her neck and shoulder.
I’m overlycautious by nature. My mind will always question "Is this safe? Is this appropriate?" but I’m also learning to weigh the risk against the reward and not let the fear and worry of “what ifs” keep Aliyah from the joy in new experiences - as long as her experiences still include a cart/highchair cover and a dinner mat for the table.
I believe that there is truth in the old saying “It takes a village to raise a child”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment