Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Why I am Choosing a Natural Childbirth

Get ready for the longest blog post in the history of TheInzerFamily.blogspot.com...

There has been a lot of discussion lately due to my recent prenatal class on natural childbirth and I wanted to discuss my decision to go natural. It’s a really important topic for me that requires a thorough explanation.

Having a natural childbirth never crossed my mind when I first learned I was pregnant. Like most women, I wanted the easiest, most painless birth possible. I remember searching for “childbirth” on youtube - watching one video and feeling instantly nauseous. I had to lay down and collect myself. All I could think was “THAT is going to happen to my body? No Way!” Not to mention the numerous shows about childbirth on TLC I had been watching...

But I decided the only way to overcome my fear was to learn about the process. So I started reading, mostly online in the beginning. I dug through many websites, watched "The Business of Being Born" and asked everyone I knew who had a baby what their experience was like.

I have never wanted to go natural because I think experiencing pain in childbirth would make me more of a woman than someone who delivered with an epidural or by c-section. Any method with which a woman chooses to deliver takes courage, focus, and is a huge physical experience. I didn’t want to feel pain anymore than the next girl, but as I began to fully understand how my body would deliver a baby and the history of maternity care in our country, I came to a few conclusions on what would be best for my individual needs:

1. Laying numb from the waist down, on my back in a bed hooked up to a bunch of monitors and IVs sounded WAY worse to me than being able to move around, using gravity and the motion of my own body to move my baby down, the ability to labor in a tub, and having free motion to get on my knees, stand up, squat - whatever it was that I was needing in that moment.

2. My body conceived this child without intervention. It has grown this child without intervention. Why wouldn’t my body be able to deliver her the same way? While I understand that there are situations that require medical interventions (I have friends who have had to have emergency c-sections due to complications unrelated to labor itself and thank the Lord that the technology is there for them to do so) - but why go into a hospital acting as if I need to be “treated” with needles and drugs if this is a natural, normal, low-risk birth?

3. Natural childbirth does not automatically equal a more painful childbirth. What causes the most pain during labor is the expectation and fear that women feel around childbirth. There are countless movies of women screaming in pain during the process - but that is not always the reality of it. If you take out the fear away, then you change the experience. A woman laboring in a confident and relaxed state is not going to be fighting against her body like a woman who is scared and tense.

I’m not going to go into all of the statistics but ultimately, women who give birth without unnecessary medical intervention have much shorter labors, less tearing, and babies who are more alert and able to immediately bond with mom.

Deciding to go natural requires ALOT more preparation than walking into a hospital in labor and letting the doctors take over. It requires educating yourself on every single procedure that is part of standard hospital protocol and deciding which ones are necessary/unnecessary for your situation. It means committing the time to learning a pain/fear management technique to help you through all stages of labor. It means finding a hospital, OB or midwife, and labor coaches who will advocate for you and support you during your labor. It means understanding all of the tricks, tools, and measures you can use to keep yourself calm, comfortable, and in control during your labor.

Here is what we have done/plan to do (keeping in mind this is what works best for Tyler and I - everyone has their own preferences when it comes to the birth they want)

1. We are planning on hiring a doula. An experienced doula or birth coach can reduce your chances of having to get a c-section by 50% - Tyler has never been through this experience either so our doula will be there to support him while he supports me. She knows massage techniques, aromatherapy, and other techniques to help me have an easier labor. She will be my advocate with the doctors and nurses and keep me focused on my task.

2. We also plan to utilize other coping methods such as - birth balls, laboring in water, low lighting, music and a quiet, peaceful room that will support my techniques in a calm atmosphere.

3. I found a hospital and Obstetrician who supported my wishes to go natural. I have a wonderful OB who will let me have the delivery I want and a hospital that will also support my birth plan. Going natural DOES NOT MEAN denying medical intervention when it is needed and necessary - it just means denying unnecessary medical intervention when your body is doing everything right on its own.

4. We are working on creating a comprehensive birth plan that includes everything from what techniques I’m using for my labor to having Aliyah in my arms immediately after delivery without being taken away for testing, weighing, etc until we have time to bond with one another (as long as she comes out without any complication and is deemed healthy upon delivery). Everyone from my husband, our doula, my OB, AND the entire nursing staff at the hospital will have copies of this plan and be familiar with what we want.

Even with all of the preparations we are doing there is a possibility that we will still require medical intervention. I’m not against getting an epidural if I have done everything within my power to go natural but am not physically able to do it because of severe back labor or some other unforeseen complication. I understand that I may still require a c-section if an emergency arises. The single most important thing is the safe and healthy delivery of our daughter. I will take whatever outcome with a happy heart because I know I have done everything possible to set myself up for success - if it doesn’t go as planned - so be it. I’ll have no regrets.

But I’m going to rock this birth. I’m going to kick butt at it. I am actually excited for it to get here. Nothing about going into labor or delivering this baby scares me. I’m confident in my body and in myself. It’s going to be an awesome experience. It will be the single most amazing thing I’ve ever done in my life. I’ve grown this baby girl and I’m going to be the one to bring her into this world - talk about empowering! I’m prepared and educated - and when the day comes, I’ll be ready.

2 comments:

  1. This was the best blog ever.
    I mean it.
    *Go you*

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. love your new background/header photo!

    ReplyDelete