Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Flustered With a Hungry Baby

Every Friday I have been getting together with my good friend, Carrie. I am so happy that we have reconnected again since high school. (We had been meeting with Patty too, who I also love dearly, but that busy mama started back teaching a few weeks ago) We were on the cheerleading squad together our senior year and apart of StuCo. You can image all the crazy fun stuff we used to do!! Almost 10 years later we are back together again... with kids! These girls are so fun and bright and such wonderful mothers to their sweet kiddos!

I know there are a ton of pictures with the three of us together, but all I could find were these pictures of us that I got off of Facebook: not the best quality, but you get the idea...

(Holy Bangs! What was I thinking?!?)

Recently, Carrie has been showing me how to get a good deal and I am SO excited about it. We have been meeting at her house over lunch enjoying our kids and adult conversation. I will hopefully post a blog about my coupon experiences, but until then - you can check out Carrie's post a while back about what she does: The Diggins Universe

After our visit this past Friday I decided to make a quick stop and use some of my coupons. I feel like every time Aliyah and I go out, there is an imaginary stop-watch ticking just over my shoulder... clean diaper, full belly, just had a nap... ready. set. GO! I seriously considered stopping to nurse her on the way home after our last stop, but just hustled in the car and took the last turn on two wheels with her screaming at the top of her lungs.

Can I confess something? When Aliyah is starving and crying - I sometimes get so unbelievably flustered. I hate the idea of her being hungry so in a rush to feed her, I break into a sweat and fumble with my top and usually wind up standing topless in the middle of our room trying to get baby to boob as quick as possible.

Does this happen to anyone else?

It’s amazing how this post went from talking about a nice afternoon with my friend to me ripping my clothes in 10 seconds flat.

Ah, motherhood.

5 comments:

  1. AH, MARCIE! I CAN TOTALLY RELATE TO YOUR ENTIRE STORY, STEP BY STEP, REGARDING THE BOOB FRENZY! haha. I am SO with you. (That issue does get easier as they get older!) I'm glad you asked, because I was already going to say "You wrote this story about me, didn't you? Were you spying on me?" before I got to the part where you asked. :) I think our serious reaction when baby is super hungry like that is part of how God wired our bodies to be; there are actually chemical and hormonal things behind the crazed urge to protect, nurture and nurse our babies. Just like if our babies seemed stressed or start crying, our milk can spontaneously let down. Pretty cool when you think about it that way. I'm thankful that you are a mama who listens to her baby and to herself. You know, there is a whole popular culture currently telling women to ignore those urges and our babies' signals. Anyway. Ta ta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever it takes, Baby! Whatever it takes!!! Thanks for sharing. Your honesty and compassion for your little one in endearing! Keep up the great work...you're an inspiration to us all! lv u.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marcie. Have a comment for you regarding the couponing part of this post as I don't know much about the nursing part yet (although I'm sure I will in a few short weeks!). If you want to try to find some good deals at Target here is a great blog to check out - www.totallytarget.com. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANKS SO MUCH!!! love all the posts! You girls are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean about having a time frame in regards to full, clean, happy baby. I'm also glad to hear I'm not the only one who breaks out into a flustered sweat over my baby's hunger cry from the backseat!

    ReplyDelete