Monday, February 21, 2011
Safety 101
Before this girl was mobile, Tyler and I had a good long laugh over this... and I quote "reeee diculous!" play helmet we saw online. "Seriously, what kind of crazy overprotective parent puts their kid in a helmet during play time?"
ha! ha! ha! we laughed, pointing at the photo and shaking our heads.
But then Aliyah started crawling, and now she has been wanting to pull up on everything. On top of that, she is now cruising around the living room. She’s letting go and wobbling and FALLING DOWN EVERYWHERE. Even with our newly improved super-speedy parent arms to try and catch her, sometimes we’re just not fast enough. As we speak, she’s sporting a bump on her head from a fall in the kitchen and another from hitting the side of a coffee table.
My nerves are shot.
I need some Inspector Gadget go-go gadget arms immediately.
and in my head, I keep picturing this ridiculous helmet. I keep saying " YOU CANNOT PUT YOUR CHILD IN THAT STUPID HELMET" and then she gets a bump and it’s all I can do not to race to the computer and put in my order.
I know this is something that all children go through. That falling down and bumps and bruises are a normal part of the process of learning balance and trying to walk... but how do I do it and still save my sanity? I’m hard wired to protect her from pain and injury and while we’re doing the best we can to prevent it, unless we pad our entire house, the bumps and falls are still happening.
I need someone to talk me down from the "click here to purchase" padded helmet ledge that I am now teetering on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Well, I would save the helmet for the tire swing and bicycle ride. HA! you know the routine!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Dad
They won't remember this period later on in their lives.
ReplyDeletethat padded helmet would ruin all the cute pictures you take! it would smoosh the bows and flowers.
ReplyDelete