Thursday, April 21, 2011

She Called Me Mama


I’ve been mouthing those words to her for months. “Ma ma. Ma ma. Da da Da da”

The word was so blatant. Not an accidental combination of syllables. Not a “I think she said...” Mama. Clear as a bell.

I had heard this sound come from her lips before, but never had it been directed toward me. I had stepped out of the house to run a quick errand. When I came back home she smiled, reached out to me and said "mama" - In that moment, she wanted me to hold her. her mama. me.

What a momentous occasion in the life of a new mom - the very first of a million times I hope to hear mama floating from her small lips to my ears.

she called me mama. she called me mama. she called me mama!!!

1 comment: