After going through the baby stores over and over again, I am starting to have a desire to avoid the plastic, buzzing, blinking, junk that our society calls “toys” these days. While I don’t want to deny my daughter anything, I can’t help but want to think of ways to give her a full, enjoyable youth without drowning her in a room full of mass produced junk that she’ll grow tired of quickly.I keep trying to talk through my ideas of giving ‘experiences’ instead of 'things' with Tyler. I am drawn to the idea of replacing plastic toys with trips to the zoo, canvas paintings, musicals, or an afternoon visit to the cupcake/coffee shop.
Will our family think we are crazy if we asked them to forgo presents at her birthday party and instead give her their undivided time? Maybe even have guests bring donations and supplies for the local animal shelter instead of toys? I would definitely get her a few things so she has presents to open but not a mountain of gifts... Everything In Moderation... Then we would have a huge box of goodies to take to animals in need and have a fun afternoon together as a family helping our community. It is all about experiences, fun trips, and time together!
And when it does come to toys - I keep going back to those timeless toys that will withstand the test of time and could be passed down to future siblings and cousins - red wagons, story books, musical instruments, blocks, art easels and felt puppets.
check out - Made by Joel
a blog about a creative dad who makes toys & crafts for his kids
I remember painting/coloring cardboard boxes and playing in them for hours with our family friends, the Beam-Wards! I can also remember lots of time on our bouncy horse & a set of plain 'ol pots and pans. Can you imagine any greater joy as a child than being given your very own set of pots and pans, a large wooden spoon, and free reign to make your own "music" - bliss...
I know there will come a time when she’ll beg for whatever the newest doll/toy of her day is - and again, I think anything in moderation is okay... but if I can just instill in her that the true joy of life is collecting experiences and memories with the people you love, and not a room full of plastic, whiz-bang toys that will be forgotten in a few months time, then I will feel as though I have succeeded.

And you won't have a headache from all the noise! And you won't have to spend a fortune on batteries!! You are going to be a wonderful momma!
ReplyDeleteI love that guy's website! I really like that he started most of his ideas without much sewing knowledge ... what inspiration :)
ReplyDeleteKnowing you and your imagination, you'll come up with so many neat things for baby Aliyah!
Old dog, new tricks...I'm willing! Will always want to spend time with all my family. Dad's got his fishing pole ready!
ReplyDeleteAs long as you include the little red wagon, books, blocks, art supplies, and PLEASE ~a doll house (hand crafted together or not)~ I'm right there with you.
ReplyDeleteI will say, since you cannot control other people and will surely end up with a relative or friend who would rather spoil with goodies than time, (or they live far away and they're not the crafty type, so it's all they know to do) I have a great solution you can teach your daughter. This is the approach I take with winter coats: Every time I buy a new winter coat, I donate an old winter coat.
Maybe every Birthday she can box up some old toys for children less fortunate, and maybe, just maybe ~ she'd be inspired to box up one of her new toys as well.
:)