Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Breastfeeding Post I Never Wrote

(please enjoy this totally unrelated but adorable photo)

I never wrote a post about my experience breastfeeding because I felt guilty.

I felt guilty because my experience breastfeeding was nothing at all like the horror stories I read again and again as I perused baby message boards and blogs before Aliyah was born. I knew I wanted to breast feed her... I hoped and prayed my body would be able to do so... but I also carried a fearful anticipation of the pain that everyone said would come along with nourishing my daughter with breastmilk.

During our breastfeeding class, our instructor asked us to raise our hand if we thought breastfeeding would hurt - everyone (including the boys) raised their hands. As the night went on, we learned about getting a good latch and other helpful hints and she asked us all again if we believed her when she told us that it doesn't have to hurt... we nodded our heads hopefully, but I still couldn't shake all the doubt that had built up over the many stories I heard & articles I read.

While still in the hospital, I hung on every word the lactation consultant said to me. I obsessively checked to ensure that Aliyah's mouth was positioned just as instructed, smothered myself with lanolin (just in case) and then... I waited for the pain to begin.

and it didn’t.

I had my gel ice packs and extra tubes of lanolin ready to go. The engorgement and crazy firehose milk spraying came and went but I was still waiting for the pain. A week in, I was still holding my breath, wondering when I would get the cracked and bleeding nipples that everyone promised me.

Two weeks and I was still wondering when it would start.

Three weeks in and I stopped putting on the lanolin and still never found a need for the ice packs... I begin to let my breath out little by little. My friends with children would inquire (with a note of sympathy in their voices) “How are you adjusting to breastfeeding?” and I’d say “Oh, it’s going pretty good.” I was ashamed to say “It’s freaking awesome - I actually love it! This is so much better than I thought it would be!” I wasn't told by very many that this could be a pleasant experience. It was supposed to be painful and complicated, and because it wasn’t - I knew I was seriously lucky and it made me feel guilty.

So I never wrote my post. Because I know that a lot of women face some real, serious challenges when it comes to breastfeeding. I’ve read stories and talked with women who have gone through a very difficult experience determined to provide nature’s most perfect food to their infants. I know women who never even got the chance to breastfeed because their milk didn’t come in or an illness prevented them from being able to do so.

But I also have friends who had the same easy experience I have had - and the more I thought on it - the more I decided that I should write this post. For those expectant moms out there who are holding the same fearful expectations of what is to come and only reading/hearing negative stories about how things go in the beginning - it might be challenging, it might be painful, but it very well might be that you can throw your lanolin and ice packs in the closet and forget all about them.

My name is Marcie and breastfeeding never hurt.

There. I said it.
(and I wish all pregnant readers the same fate)

3 comments:

  1. Whew! Marcie you are so lucky! I loved being able to give him my milk, but I hated having to sit there and not be able to do things around the house. And I did get cracked nipples. But I'm so glad you find it a joy and that your little one is enjoying it! She is cute! -Renny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved breastfeeding also, well once I got passed the first two months. I had to wear a shield because my nipples were inverted (tmi??) so I never experienced the pain that many women go through. It was harder for my milk to come in because of the lack of sensation, even though I felt like I lived on my pump to keep my milk coming in. I was able to nurse Owen for 6 months but going back to work caused my milk to deplete and almost over the weekend it was gone, I was heartbroken! I am so glad you love nursing and are able to provide Ali with the "good stuff"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your experience was so great! It was a really tough go with my oldest (the pain went away finally when he was 9 weeks old-- STILL not sure how I survived it and pressed on)... and it did not hurt even ONE day with baby #2 and then the latest.. babe #3... it was tough the first week and has been glorious since! I have been breastfeeding over 3 years with the first 2 combined and still going!

    I think breastfeeding is God's way of helping us SLOW DOWN and enjoy our babies. I go at 100 miles an hour most of the time... but breastfeeding is one way that requires me to slow and enjoy my children.

    Thanks for the post!!!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete