Friday, October 8, 2010

Pep Talk

I have never experienced this myself personally, but I am always surprised by my friends who have shared stories with me about other people who have said some pretty bold things about their parenting choices, etc... I was talking to a friend about this a while back but I’m posting it here, because maybe other mamas need to hear it too:

No one knows what’s better for your child than you do. Not your parents, or your best friend, or a book or a panel of experts.

Why is it that people can sometimes make you feel like you have to validate every decision you make as a parent? There are some incredibly hard decisions we all must make when it comes to how we birth our children, how we feed them, care for them, etc.

People have their opinions on sleep schedules, on vaccinations, on weaning, on discipline - but remind yourself that your baby is one of a kind and no one else on this entire planet will intensely research, pray about, lose sleep over or debate what is the best option for your family more than you will.

So the next time someone tries to tell you what is best for YOUR baby - remember that no ones opinion or advice should make you feel guilty over the choices you make for your child. You know your child and their needs intimately and wholly. You are their advocate, their expert, and their protector. Feel confident in that role and the decisions you are making!

There's my little pep talk to all my mama (and mama-to-be) friends. I will find my way off this soap box over the weekend - HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment