1. Keeping our diaper bag fully stocked. I can’t tell you how many times we’ve been out only to discover we’re out of clean diapers. Or that we used the clean onesie I try to keep in the bottom due to an unfortunate food accident on our last outing. Or the binki…OMGahhh where is her binki?!!?!
2. Caring for a 10 month old. I think this has been the hardest month for us as far as caring for Aliyah. Even though she was more demanding food wise as an infant, she stayed in one spot or was happy to be carried so we could get things done. Now she’s EVERYWHERE and some how has a magical radar that finds the only spots in our “baby proofed” home that could possibly be dangerous (cords plugged into an outlet and pulling on our fairly lightweight dining chairs). We spend all of our time with her chasing her around and trying to redirect her into a better area/activity. She’s incredibly mobile (and crazy fast) but isn’t verbal enough yet for us to understand each other so this is proving challenging for us. We don’t want to be helicopter parents - but right now, we feel like she’s kind of forcing us to be.
3. Changing diapers/clothes. This is another new struggle. Our kid is freakishly strong. Also, freakishly slithery and hard to hold on to. She somehow got it into her head that having to change clothes is an act of torture and she does her best to escape us. I thought I should make a video of what we have to go through to get on a clean diaper and footy pajamas before bed, but after some more thought - I decided it resembled one of those rodeo events where the guy has to jump off the horse, wrestle the calf to the ground and hog tie all of its feet together. Sometimes we both end up crying before it’s all over.
4. Getting beat up. My arms are covered in
What we’re doing pretty good with:
1. WHAT AN EATER! Aliyah is such a phenomonal little eater! She likes everything. She loves fish, chicken, veggies of all sorts and is doing really well feeding herself. Eating the green leaves in our salads is her favorite. I know this may change as she enters her toddler years - but right now, the kid is eating like a champ and that makes me a happy mama.
2. Finding time for us. Tyler and I decided that we would always make sure to take time for our marriage. We need to get better at utilizing the grandparents we have in town (We know how absolutely lucky we are to have this option). But we do really treasure the time between when Aliyah falls asleep and we head up for bed. We (sometimes) eat a late night snack slowly, we hold hands, we talk, we enjoy each other’s company. We love our girl but it’s really wonderful to have that dedicated time to focus just on each other.
3. Time management - well sort of! We are still coupon clipping, and eating out less. I have taken time to plan out our meals ahead which has helped give me more time with the two people I love most at the end of the day. Tyler is amazing at helping out with the chores and I am getting better at chasing Aliyah and getting work done around the house at the same time.
4. Raising our girl without too much “stuff” - I know we’re really only getting started when it comes to entertaining a growing little mind, but I’m kind of proud that we’ve made it this far with basic, simple toys and LOTS of activities. We are working hard to stay on our path of really hands on parenting - lots of walks, exploring the contents of our kitchen cabinets (A whisk kept her busy for a good 15 minutes last week!), playing music, and changing her scenery often. (Note: I feel like the only exception to the stuff rule is clothing. She’s got a closet full! I can’t seem to pass up a bag full of hand-me-down baby dresses or a sweet hat with ears if my life depended on it!)
5. Learning to be flexible. We cloth diaper - but for overnights and long trips, we use disposables. I wanted to use cloth exclusively but Aliyah can pee through anything at night (even the ‘sposies!) so we had to make adjusments. I said we wouldn’t let her watch tv - but the way her face lights up when she sees sesame street on tv is hard to deny - and so we let her watch from time to time. I adored Sesame street as a kid - what was I thinking attempting to deny my daughter that same pleasure? There are a million examples like this - things that I was so sure I would or wouldn’t do - but we are learning every day that we have to adjust and change as our needs as a family change.
Are you facing some of these same challenges in your family? Where are you succeeding? I keep thinking these lists could flip flop tomorrow - life is so fickle like that - but today I’m admitting our weaknesses and celebrating our wins!

Hey Marcie, I know I don't comment much, but wanted to let you know I read your blog everyday (or whenever you post).
ReplyDeleteFrom what I've seen, you're doing a phenomenal job raising her! I can only imagine all of the goofy, fun and inspiring activities that you do to keep her busy!
DL, Susan :)
Hang in there- I thought 10-12 months was tough for the reasons you mentioned- are you still signing? It's always a relif to understand what they are trying to get out!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I aplaud your 'less is more' mentality. We just got home and are alread drowning in toys. Makes me a little nauseous, lol.
Emerson, michael and i know exactly what you are telling about with the clothing struggles, the teething, and the crawling! It is like you were describing what we have been struggling with. But you do haber one more positive than us, emerson is not such a good eater.i have loved reading your blog for this exact reason, i learn from your experiences and feel so much better knowing we aren't alone. :)
ReplyDeleteOOooohhh the diaper change. WHAT happened?? I laughed out loud reading your experience on this. Lilly has also decided that diaper changes and switching from pajamas to clothes is a crazy form of baby torture. She does a lot better going from clothes to the tub and then into pajamas from there; but as for our morning routine, she absolutely loathes it. I feel that if it gets any worse, I'll literally be pinning her down. Lol, so let me know when you find a solution because right now giving her a book and getting her interested in it before laying her down is the only thing that works... 50% of the time.
ReplyDeletep.s. love Aliyah's picture here :)
ReplyDelete