Thursday, January 14, 2010

FuzziBunz

First things first - disposable diapers take up to 15% of space in our landfills, use 37% more water to make than cloth diapers require to wash, and consume 70% more energy in production and disposal than cloth diapers. The environmental impacts are significant.

Secondly, disposable diapers cost you $1200- $3000 more for the same amount of use vs. cloth - and if you reuse cloth diapers for a second child, the savings increases even more.

While cloth diapers don’t necessarily work for every parent’s situation (note: a lot of daycares will not agree to use cloth diapers) in our case, we have the ideal situation to give them a go.

After reading more on home-wash cloth diapers and watching youtube tutorials on just how easy they are to utilize, I was convinced that this was the right choice for us too.

After reading reviews, we still may need to use throw-away diapers at night or on-the-go, but FuzziBunz seem like a great place to start. I love the bright colors, the adjustable sizes, and the positive effects on babies (no more diaper rash!) and on the environment - These diapers are very different from the cloth diapers my mom used when I was born!

I welcome ANY thoughts and experiences with cloth diapers - have you tried them? What worked? What didn’t?

4 comments:

  1. my sister has used them with her last 3 children and loves them! the kids have a gigantic bum in photos, but it's actually kind of cute...and a small price to pay. :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Bum Genius and love them! They are one size fits all and you have buttons that you adjust as your baby grows! They are easy to maintain and show no stains after almost 2 years of wear! You should check them out we absolutely love them. There is a store called Happy Botmaus in Lees Summit that carries many different brands of cloth diapers so if you want to check them out beforehand (which we did) it is a great store. It was nice to see how the diapers work in person first so you know. The nice thing about Bum Genius is also that you can stuff as many inserts in as your baby needs. This is great since as they grow you can just put in more inserts to accomodate the wetness. We use a double stuff at night and he has leaked maybe once. So don't rule out overnight too! Let me know if you have any questions or anything since we did major research on cloth diapers before our little guy was born!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've looked into a few different kinds myself and haven't quite decided on what kind to go with. I've also concluded that spending money on a "diaper service" to pick up the dirty ones and bring us new ones is still less expensive than buying disposables. Not to say it isn't possible that once I become a mother the idea of cleaning them myself won't disturb me, but for right now.. I'm thinking diaper service!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used them with both of my kiddos! I loved them, Matt not so much :) It gets harder once they arent soley on breastmilk anymore. check out diaperswappers.com
    Great website :)

    ReplyDelete